Monday, April 16, 2012









I need to correct myself. I read the following in "Gaia's Garden" by Toby Hemenway AFTER I had joyously broadcast all those seeds. "Broadcast all the seeds over the same area to create a mixed planting. Sow at a density of about one seed every couple of square inches and cover the entire bed with a light scattering of seed. Sow each seed type separarely--don't mix the seeds and toss them all onto the bed, because the heavy seeds will be flug the farthest and you'll wind up with all the radishes on one end and all the parsnips at the other." My flung seeds are now seedlings and they really don't look too bad. I have done some thining for the chicks.

Speaking of chicks, I think one is a rooster because a nice tail is forming.


The black locust is covered in sweet pea like blooms and bees.

Saturday, April 14, 2012













I tried to take some pictures of the chicks that show their adult feathers. They will have black and white bars. They love their greens and worms!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

























































I am loving this warm weather! I was outside, Tuesday, when I noticed extra activity in the bee yard. It was a swarm! One of the hives had decided to split. A queen and some drones and workers headed off for new digs. All I could do was stand and watch. To my amazement, they formed a clump around the queen in a cedar tree above the hive! Then a storm came through and I had to leave for Bee Club. The next morning Dennis and I went out to see if they were still in the tree. Sure enough, there they were. Dennis attached a five-gallon bucket to a very long pole, climbed a ladder, and successfully gathered the swarm and transfered it to a new roomy hive. Yeah!















I don't think it is a new moon yet, but crazy seems to be in the air. I stopped by a new Tractor Supply store Monday afternoon and came out with six barred rock chicks!















The week before, I joyously opened several packages of seeds, dumped them in a container and proceeded to broadcast in a bed of mulch. Then I added a light covering of planting mix. When I checked the bed, I could see many little green plants emerging.